HUSCAP logo Hokkaido Univ. logo

Hokkaido University Collection of Scholarly and Academic Papers >
Center for Environmental and Health Sciences >
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles, etc >

Exposure to Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Field in the High-Frequency Band and Cognitive Function in Children and Adolescents: A Literature Review

Files in This Item:

The file(s) associated with this item can be obtained from the following URL:

Title: Exposure to Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Field in the High-Frequency Band and Cognitive Function in Children and Adolescents: A Literature Review
Authors: Ishihara, Toru Browse this author
Yamazaki, Keiko Browse this author →KAKEN DB
Araki, Atsuko Browse this author →KAKEN DB
Teraoka, Yuri Browse this author
Tamura, Naomi Browse this author
Hikage, Takashi Browse this author
Omiya, Manabu Browse this author
Mizuta, Masahiro Browse this author
Kishi, Reiko Browse this author →KAKEN DB
Keywords: cognition
mobile phone
Issue Date: 8-Dec-2020
Publisher: MDPI
Journal Title: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
Volume: 17
Issue: 24
Start Page: 9179
Publisher DOI: 10.3390/ijerph17249179
Abstract: With increasing use of mobile phones, exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic field (RF-EMF) in the high-frequency band associated with mobile phones has become a public concern, with potentially adverse effects on cognitive function in children and adolescents. However, findings regarding the relation of RF-EMF and cognitive function in children and adolescents have been inconsistent due to a number of study design-related factors, such as types of exposure and outcome measures, age of participants, and the era of study conduction. The present literature review focused on these possible factors that could explain this inconsistency. This review identified 12 eligible studies (participants ages 4 to 17 years) and extracted a total 477 relations. In total, 86% of the extracted relations were not statistically significant; in the remaining 14%, a negative relation between RF-EMF and cognitive performance was detected under limited conditions: when (1) RF-EMF was assessed using objective measurement not subjective measurement (i.e., questionnaire), (2) participants were relatively older (12 years and above) and had greater opportunity of exposure to RF-EMF, and (3) the collection of cognitive function data was conducted after 2012. Given that 86% of the extracted relations in this analysis were not statistically significant, the interpretation should be approached with caution due to the possibility of the 14% of significant relationships, extracted in this review, representing chance findings.
Type: article
Appears in Collections:環境健康科学研究教育センター (Center for Environmental and Health Sciences) > 雑誌発表論文等 (Peer-reviewed Journal Articles, etc)

Export metadata:

OAI-PMH ( junii2 , jpcoar_1.0 )

MathJax is now OFF:


 - Hokkaido University