HUSCAP logo Hokkaido Univ. logo

Hokkaido University Collection of Scholarly and Academic Papers >
Graduate School of Health Sciences / Faculty of Health Sciences >
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles, etc >

Activity of Pursuit-Related Neurons in Medial Superior Temporal Area (MST) during Static Roll-Tilt

Files in This Item:
CC21-1_155-165.pdf910.15 kBPDFView/Open
Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:http://hdl.handle.net/2115/47943

Title: Activity of Pursuit-Related Neurons in Medial Superior Temporal Area (MST) during Static Roll-Tilt
Authors: Fujiwara, Keishi Browse this author
Akao, Teppei Browse this author
Kurkin, Sergei Browse this author →KAKEN DB
Fukushima, Kikuro Browse this author →KAKEN DB
Keywords: coordinate
monkey
MST
optic flow
preferred direction
resting rate
smooth pursuit
static roll-tilt
Issue Date: Jan-2011
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Journal Title: Cerebral Cortex
Volume: 21
Issue: 1
Start Page: 155
End Page: 165
Publisher DOI: 10.1093/cercor/bhq072
Abstract: Recent studies have shown that rhesus macaques can perceive visual motion-direction in earth-centered coordinates as accurately as humans. We tested whether coordinate frames representing smooth-pursuit and/or visual motion signals in MST are earth-centered to better understand its role in coordinating smooth-pursuit eye movements. In 2 Japanese macaques, we compared preferred directions (re monkeys' head/trunk axis) of pursuit and/or visual motion responses of MSTd neurons while upright and during static whole-body roll-tilt. In the majority (41/51 = 80%) of neurons tested, preferred directions of pursuit and/or visual motion responses were similar while upright and during 40° static roll-tilt. Preferred directions of the remaining 20% of neurons (n = 10) were shifted beyond the range expected from ocular counter-rolling; the maximum shift was 14° and the mean shift was 12°. These shifts, however, were still less than half of the expected shift if MST signals are coded in the earth-centered coordinates. Virtually, all tested neurons (44/46 = 96%) failed to exhibit a significant difference between resting discharge rate while upright and during static roll-tilt while fixating a stationary spot. These results suggest that smooth-pursuit and/or visual motion signals of MST neurons are not coded in the earth-centered coordinates We suggest that these signals are coded in the head-centered coordinate.
Rights: This is a pre-copy-editing, author-produced PDF of an article accepted for publication in Cerebral Cortex following peer review. The definitive publisher-authenticated version Cereb. Cortex (2011) 21 (1): 155-165 is available online at: http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/1/155
Type: article (author version)
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/2115/47943
Appears in Collections:保健科学院・保健科学研究院 (Graduate School of Health Sciences / Faculty of Health Sciences) > 雑誌発表論文等 (Peer-reviewed Journal Articles, etc)

Submitter: 福島 菊郎

Export metadata:

OAI-PMH ( junii2 , jpcoar )

MathJax is now OFF:


 

Feedback - Hokkaido University